Monday, May 09, 2005

Newport Beach (1954)..My brother, myself and my brother-in-law...(click this link for blog #3)...

The year 1954, August, our family vacation for two weeks at Newport Beach, California where we had rented a cabin near the beach...Pictured from left to right is: My brother, John Robert...at age 16 here, myself, at age eleven, and my brother-in-law, Kenneth Hadley, at age 21...Kenneth had a job as a meter reader for the Edison Company, then he went into the Air Force, and when he got out, he still went back to work for the Edison Company, and later he became a special agent for the company...He had to go to a sheriff`s academy in order to get the position...This was in 1961...He later divorced my sister, Dorothy Lee, in 1964...In 1954, when this photo was taken, this was at a time in my life when I was not very well accepted by my brother-in-law, nor my brother, especially...I was picked on a lot by my brother and also by some neighborhood kids, such as "Marshal Turpin", who was the neighborhood bully, who moved next door to us on Kenoak Drive, in Pomona, in 1953...We were living on Alvarado street, in Pomona, having moved from our Kenoak Drive address a few months earlier, at the time of this photo, but Marshal Turpin would still come around to pay his respects from his house, still, on Kenoak Drive, at the time...My brother sort of always resented me as his brother until I was at around the age of fifteen...And, at that time, he sort of began accepting me, more and more, as time went on...Every August, and for two weeks, my mother would get her vacation from the Pomona First Federal, and we would spend it at Newport Beach...This went on until 1959, when I dropped out of the picture, altogether, about a year later, in 1960, but my mother and grandmother would continue to spend my mother`s vacation time at Newport Beach, California, until the year 1978 when my grandmother passed away...And my mother retired in 1976...

Please click on photo for larger image...

No comments: