Sunday, May 01, 2005

My grandmother, Berenice Fiske, photo taken at the same time as the one of my grandfather, Joe Fiske, at the beginning of the last century and most likely after the two had just gotten married...this is the best photo that I have of my grandmother and also the one of my grandfather, both photos having been taken at the same time, after their marriage...My grandmother was a student of the "Old School" and, of course, women were not equal with men during her younger days and which led her to completely depend on men for most everything and I always had the impression that her attitude was that all men were good for were simply as work horses for their woman and if they were not that, then they simply were not "men", and this was all my grandfather had meant to her..not a tear did she shed after my grandfather died in 1951 and I was there as a witness the whole time..My greatgrandmother was in hesterics, however, after his death, and she keep saying over and over, "what are we going to do without Papa Joe", because that is all he meant to them, just someone to provide them with their security, and that`s all he was to them....

Please click on photo for larger image...

No comments: